Emu Emax 1 SE (Upgraded) w/ Lotharek Rev f black

HxC Floppy Emulator E-mu Emax support
lukebretthauer

Emu Emax 1 SE (Upgraded) w/ Lotharek Rev f black

Post by lukebretthauer »

Hi guys,

I have read every element of this forum to make things work on my emax 1. And ofcourse i cannot load a thing.

I am after the jumper settings, firstly.

Secondly i have been downloading the OS images (tried everything i can find) and batch converting them with EM1 (from r massive) images on the beta version of the hxc software.

For the config file i have been making a fresh one each attempt, with EMU SHUGART, force load A, and indexed on.

My sd cards are working fine, theres a 16gb extreme san disk sdhc 90 mb/s that works, and an 80 mb/s non extreme that also works (16gb).

My next plan is to use my working os floppy to make an image and try batching that, but i am waiting for a working usb floppy drive. The Emax os is working on floppies and says 'Emax SE rev 1.1'.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, i have spent hours on this attempting to make things happen, and this is not my first hxc drive.

Thanks~Luke

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Emu Emax 1 SE (Upgraded) w/ Lotharek Rev f black

Post by Jeff »

jumper setting : ID0-A.
Check that the floppy ribbon is connected in the right way.
Please share some pictures of your connections + what is displayed on the hxc lcd.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

I think "EMU" Shugart is a mistake. Try just Generic Shugart.

And a USB floppy won't work for imaging an Emax floppy.

lukebretthauer

Post by lukebretthauer »

Ok heres the update so far. Turned the data cable to the hxc upside down and started the .cfg and .hfe process again.

Found i can load a dska0000.hfe file uploaded by mondo below (the universally loadable one).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44NKm ... NKMGc/view

So for the people getting into this here is what worked on my emax 1.

Jumper on setting 1 (IDA0)
CHECK DATA CABLE - one side up will click when attempting to load one will not)
CHECK FIRMWARE - download latest update for the drive firmware
CHECK SD - my 16gb sandisk sdhc worked both 80 and 90 mb/s
DOWNLOAD latest hxc software
MAKE new config file and save to FAT32 formatted sd (SETTINGS: INDEXED, GENERIC SHUGART)
SAVE .CFG and mondos universal dska0000 file to the sd

I just wanted to compile my findings as so often on these forums people figure it out and just dont bother. Hopefully this helps someone.

Once i figure out how to load up all the r massive banks and stuff ill post my workings up again.

Cheers!

lukebretthauer

Post by lukebretthauer »

Using the same .cfg file i just drag and dropped all the r massive .hfe files and am loading them all no worries. It's all good guys, the 80's are back.FYI i did not need to rename the files dska0000 or anything like that.
In fact there is no file on the sd that is DSKA000 or anything of that prefix.

This card is a sandisk sdhc 16gb 80mb/s standard sd size.

I will also mention this, i recently found this screen as a direct no solder replacement for my emax 1 kb. And works a treat. For anyone with a dead backlight.. this is the way fwd.

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/muzikelektro ... 7675.l2559

This guy did cheap and fast postage. The screen is bright and clear. I do not know him or work for him.

I have not been able to generate any files that work with the batch converter as yet. When i do i will post again.

Cheers.

mondo1976

Post by mondo1976 »

1) Yes, that OLED display is wonderful and easy to install (well, as easy as installing a display in the Emax can be, at any rate).

2) Can you clarify your batch convert problem? The HxC software doesn't necessarily convert EM1 files properly with every operating system EMX file it needs to combine with them. The best idea is to just use http://www.emxp.net/ to work with your files. ///E-Synthesist is a great developer, and a terrifically nice guy, at that!

Since you found my thread with the "universal" boot image (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2069), you should be aware of the issues I outlined in the thread and one of the workarounds. But the newer versions of EMXP can handle HFEs directly now, so just cut out the middle-man and do all the processing with that. See where that takes you.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I don't recommend at all third party softwares managing hfe files as they didn't follows the format changes.

Would be better to point me problems as i can solve directly the issue in the hxc floppy emulator software to cut out the middle-man (as you said) and use the legacy hxc tools only ...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fyi EM1 Loader fixed/adjusted :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... t_beta.zip

the batch conversion should work fine.