Korg DSS1 and Fairlight CMI IIx

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
kirk

Re: Korg DSS1 and Fairlight CMI IIx

Post by kirk »

Greetings all!

I've just purchased a Fairlight IIx and I was looking to see if anyone has figured out how to get the HxC to work with it?

I've got an HxC hooked up to my Emulator II and it works great!

Thanks - Kirk

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

kirk wrote: I've just purchased a Fairlight IIx and I was looking to see if anyone has figured out how to get the HxC to work with it?
As always this should work ;)

kirk

Post by kirk »

Well, I guess I'm not so much wondering about the HxC part working, as I have great faith that it will.

It's the interfacing with the HxC to the Fairlight that I'm wondering about. The 8 inch floppy drives in it have a 50 pin connector. Does anyone have a pin to pin adaptor to the floppy connector on the HxC?

FairlightIIx

Post by FairlightIIx »

kirk wrote:Well, I guess I'm not so much wondering about the HxC part working, as I have great faith that it will.

It's the interfacing with the HxC to the Fairlight that I'm wondering about. The 8 inch floppy drives in it have a 50 pin connector. Does anyone have a pin to pin adaptor to the floppy connector on the HxC?
Here is wiring info: http://users.bart.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/8-525.html

Don't think there is a ready build converter, but if there is, please let me know. Also, last time I asked here, it was read only for CMI IIx.
Please let me know how this works.......

[EDIT] Please avoid links like these ones...
Here this is the HxC Floppy Emulator support forum, and nothing else.
And this is NOT an advertising forum...
Thanks for you understanding.
Jeff
[/EDIT]

Please keep me updated about your progress. :)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

FairlightIIx wrote: Don't think there is a ready build converter, but if there is, please let me know. Also, last time I asked here, it was read only for CMI IIx.
Last time you asked was 2 years ago. Lots of things changed since that time. :wink:
I don't see the reason why you can't write on the HxC with the CMI IIx.

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... l#download

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... ulator.pdf

joebritt

Post by joebritt »

First: This HxC floppy emulator is AWESOME. Big thanks to all who worked on it. I just ordered 2 more!

I was able to successfully use my new Rev F HxC emulator with my Fairlight CMI IIx.

I have a bunch of 8" disk images I made with ImageDisk, so I used IMDU to convert some of them to binary images.

The only issue I had was I wasn't able to get the "Reverse Side" option in the HxC software to reverse the sides, which the CMI seems to need. In the current release version of the software, the Reverse Side checkbox doesn't seem to "stick" -- I click it, load a RAW file, and the configuration window closes. If I open it again, that checkbox is unchecked. The .hfe that is generated if I Export does not seem to have the sides reversed, either. I tried the v2.0.3.0 beta version as well -- the checkmark seems to stick, but it still didn't generate a .hfe with the sides flipped.

I wrote a little program to flip each cylinder in the binary image (from IMDU), ran that through the HxC software, and that worked fine on the Fairlight. I could boot, read, write, format, etc.

The settings I used were:

bitrate 500000
RPM 360
Number of Track 77
Sectors per track 26
Number of side 2
Sector size 128 bytes
Inter side sector numbering YES (important)

Joe

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

If your images are in IMD file, no need to convert them into IMG . The HxC Software directly support IMD files.

Do you have tried to convert IMD files to HFE ?

joebritt

Post by joebritt »

Oh cool! No, I didn't realize that it supported IMD files -- I'll give that a try.

I'm away from the machine this week, but will try and let you know how it goes this weekend.

Thanks!

Joe

joebritt

Post by joebritt »

Jeff,

That worked great, thanks! No problem converting an IMD image of a system disk and booting from it.

Joe

wavetermb

Post by wavetermb »

This is great ! Just great.

I´m in for a dual HCx reader.

WT

FairlightIIx

Post by FairlightIIx »

wavetermb wrote:This is great ! Just great.

I´m in for a dual HCx reader.

WT
First of all: Thanks very much Joe for your help. Also a big thank you to Jeff.....

Next step would be creating a frontplate, same size as one 8" floppydrive, holding two HxC "floppydrives" and one switch, so one of the HxC "floppydrives" can be switched with the remaining, original floppydrive, so 8" discs can be copied to the HxC "floppydrive".

Perhaps we can do this as a group in order to keep costs down.

This would be what WT calls "a dual HxC reader"

Regards,

Peter Kersten.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Note : Don't forget that an HxC floppy emulator is able to emulate 2 floppy disk drive.

So one HxC = 2 disk drives ;)

About the front panel did you notice this ? :

http://torlus.com/floppy/index.php?2012 ... -available

FairlightIIx

Post by FairlightIIx »

Jeff wrote:Note : Don't forget that an HxC floppy emulator is able to emulate 2 floppy disk drive.

So one HxC = 2 disk drives ;)

About the front panel did you notice this ? :

http://torlus.com/floppy/index.php?2012 ... -available
Hey Jeff, thanks for pointing out that the HxC emulates 2 drives. I missed that. Very good to know.

As for the frontplate: I already found the HxC version with frontplate you are referring to. Thanks nevertheless! What I ment with frontplate, is actually a cover that covers the empty spaces surrounding the HxC unit and provides a way to hold the HxC in place.

Regards,

Peter Kersten.

fluxta

50 pin to 34 pin adapter

Post by fluxta »

Hi guys, I've just ordered a HxC for my CMI IIx and just wondering what you did about the connector from the 50 pin controller card to the HxC 34 pin drive? I've mocked up a bread board go between board based on the wiring I found at Dave's old computers site here...

PC(34p) 8"(50p) Description
2 TG43
8 20 Index
12 26 DS1(PC) -> DS0(8")
16 18 Motor ON/Head Load
18 34 Direction
20 36 Step
22 38 Write Data
24 40 Write Gate
26 42 Track 0 detect All Odd numbered
28 44 Write Protect pins are GROUND
30 46 Read Data
32 14 Side1 Select
34 12 Ready

just wondering if i'm on the right track?
thanks in advance
simon