Roland S770 problem...

HxC Floppy Emulator Roland Samplers/Keyboards support
mrdazobee

Roland S770 problem...

Post by mrdazobee »

Hi, I just tried a hxc emulator in my roland s770 but can't get it to work.I put the jumpers on id0A and Id0b.I took os 2.25.out file from the roland yahoo page and converted it to .img and loaded it on the sd card.I chose IBM 720 in the settings and loaded the config file also.I tried loading in the s770 but in the display on the hxc I get...RA T:001 which jumps to 3 and back again.Any ideas?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Roland S770 problem...

Post by Jeff »

Follow this :
12bitski wrote:OK, this is how you get the HxC working with the Roland S750 (Thanks Jeff for the research and the effort)

To get a working image for the HxC , you can dump a Roland Floppydisk with the HxC software on a PC.

Important, when you export the dumped disk are the emulator settings. but instead of "shugart" it you need to choose IBM PC 1.44MB or IBM PC 720KB, dependent on the desity of the dumped floppydisk.

You can also use the Images from the S-Group Site linked before. Change the extensions (.OUT, .SDK) to ".IMG" and batch convert the files into .HFE

Here it´s also important to choose the right settings when you convert the .IMG files to .HFE .

Switch on your Sampler.

Go to the HxC hardware and check if "Interface CFG" is set to "From HFE File" (to get there hold middle button)

Insert the SD card and select a Roland S750/S770 Systemdisk.

If the Systemdisk is loaded, you´re fine. Then it works already.

If it still doesn´t work, you will need to add two resistors to line 2 and 32. This can be done on the board of the HxC .

Add two resistors to R11 and R16.

Resistors between 1kΩ and 2,2kΩ should be fine.

If you still don´t get it to work try again and check all steps again.
And this should be ok. I think that like the S750 & S760 the S770 doesn't have the pull up resistor on the floppy line 2 & 32.
So you need to add 2 ~2,2kΩ resistors to R11 and R16 on the HxC.

mrdazobee

Post by mrdazobee »

Thanks Jeff, can you give me a bit more info on how to do this?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mrdazobee wrote:Thanks Jeff, can you give me a bit more info on how to do this?
Do what ? Solder the resistors ?

12bitski

Post by 12bitski »

If you´re not familar with soldering, you should give the hxc with all the information to a electronics technician.
He/She´s doing that in a minute.

If you do it yourself, you got to be really carefull as the solderpoint on the HxC board are really close together. Need to be carefull, not to short them.

mrdazobee

Post by mrdazobee »

Ok thanks for the info.Once I do this will I not be able to use it in any other sampler but the roland?Could I maybe purchase a new HxC with the work already done direct from the website?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

mrdazobee wrote:Could I maybe purchase a new HxC with the work already done direct from the website?
Yes, Just ask Lotharek to add these resistors !

Jidis

Post by Jidis »

Jeff wrote:You probably need to add some pull-up on the ready and disk change signals.
Jeff wrote:If it still doesn´t work, you will need to add two resistors to line 2 and 32. This can be done on the board of the HxC .
Hi again Jeff,

Do you by chance mean 2 and 34? The Roland 750 service manual lists those pins as "MODE" and "D CANGE" (D CHANGE?). Pin 32 is supposed to be side select. Right now, I've got them on 2 and 34, and it appears to be working for the most part. I have run into a couple converted images which it doesn't want to recognize, but I'm not sure of their origin, so there may be something odd about them.

Also, what should be the normal behavior of our flash drive's activity light on a Gotek with HxC firmware (the LED on the flash stick itself)? It seems to pretty much stay lit on the S-750 here, and flickers off for a second when I change disks with the Gotek buttons. It does appear to be automatically informing the Roland of disk changes if that's why it's constantly on. The Gotek's green LED seems to be showing actual load activity and is usually off.

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes 2 & 34, sorry for the mistake ! But anyway i think that these resistors are by default present on the gotek.

The LED is directly connected to the drive selection line.