Gotek not working anymore

ijor

Gotek not working anymore

Post by ijor »

A non-working Gotek. It was working fine last time I used it, a few months ago. Seems to be a powering issue. The 7-segment displays HxC at power up, but some flickering is perceived.

I measured voltages and indeed the 3.3V rail is a bit too low, 2.9V. The input voltage is ok, above 5V. When turned off and disconnected, I measure low resistance, about 200 ohms, between the 5V and the 3.3V rails.

The regulator gone bad? Or it could be another component? Checking the Gotek schematics I can't see any other component, besides the regulator itself, that can produce low resistance between 5V and 3.3V. No other component seems to be connected to both power rails, as far as I can see.

This is the old STM32 based model.

Thanks,

norb

Re: Gotek not working anymore

Post by norb »

Disconnect the 7-segment display and check that the Amiga can see Gotek. (AUTOBOOT.HFE)

ijor

Post by ijor »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
norb wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:06 pm
Disconnect the 7-segment display and check that the Amiga can see Gotek. (AUTOBOOT.HFE)
Why you assume it is connected to an Amiga? :) it is not. But regardless, the main point is the low voltage and the low resistance between both power rails. This is measured even with the Gotek completely disconnected from the host system.

I don't see how the 7-segment display can be relevant and produce the mentioned low resistance. But anyway, just in case, I tested disconnecting the 7-segment display and the behavior doesn't change.

norb

Post by norb »

My mistake. (Amiga) :D :oops: :D
The other drive is working correctly on this power supply?

ijor

Post by ijor »

norb wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:17 am
The other drive is working correctly on this power supply?
I appreciate your help. But I don't think this has anything to do with the power supply. There is a problem that manifests even with the device powered off. As I said, I measure very low resistance between both power rails, something that should not happen. As a matter of fact I measure very high resistance in another, working, Gotek. Resistance is, of course, measured with the device turned off, then the power supply is completely irrelevant for these measurements.

But anyway, yes, the power supply works fine with another Gotek.

norb

Post by norb »

You did not write earlier that you compared the resistance measurements with another Gotek. They were different.
So, your Gotek is dead.

ijor

Post by ijor »

norb wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:10 am
You did not write earlier that you compared the resistance measurements with another Gotek. They were different. So, your Gotek is dead.
I know that the device has a hardware problem, it is dead if you want to call it like that. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The whole purpose of this post was for people that are familiar with the hardware and have seen similar symptoms, could perhaps provide some clues about what exactly might be damaged and what component might need to be replaced.

I didn't mention the measurement comparison with another Gotek because I assumed that anybody familiar with the hardware would realize that there shouldn't be low resistance between both power rails.

I wouldn't bother at all, and I would just replace the Gotek, if it wasn't because this is the old STM32 based model, that is not manufactured anymore.

norb

Post by norb »

Check how the capacitors on the 3.3V - ground line look. Maybe one of them is damaged (small resistance )
Alternatively, replace the regulator.

ijor

Post by ijor »

norb wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:34 pm
Check how the capacitors on the 3.3V - ground line look. Maybe one of them is damaged (small resistance )
Alternatively, replace the regulator.
Thanks for the advice.