B2000 + Rev C woes

HxC Floppy Emulator on Amiga support
FalloutBoy

B2000 + Rev C woes

Post by FalloutBoy »

I have a two Rev C's that are acting the same way, I updated the firmware as per instructions to v1.8.2.36 and this is the version that is reported.
I am using HxCFloppyEmulator software v2.0.16.0, Apart from setting the drive type to Amiga DS/DD I haven't altered any other setting here.

At present this Amiga has no additional hardware added to it so there should be nothing to cause interference ; however when I attempt to boot onto the SD by selecting Workbench 3.1 HFE it gets part way through loading the WB disk and then tells me to insert volume WB.

If I attempt to load the workbench disk image through the HxCFloppyEmulator software I get a message saying that it may be corrupted - but when I write it back to an Amiga disk from its ADF counterpart it works fine - I don't get it - am I doing something wrong or is that part of the software not written yet - although it managed to read a PC disk image ok.

The disk image for workbench BTW always seems to fall down in the same place.

Jumper positions according to the English manual: Page 9 Example 4 for a twisted floppy cable using emulator as DF0: and DF1: - I have assumed that the IDx indicators are at the back of the card and the pins next to them represent pin 1 for each ID so to explain it in words: ID3=Jumper 2 & 3, ID2=Jumper 1 & 2, ID1=No connections, ID0 = No connections.

I note if I boot onto SCSI hard drive the drives can be recognized - this occurs during the boot process when attempting to boot onto a floppy image on the SD almost like the disk is being removed and its asking for it to be put back in.

This still does not explain why the floppy emulator software wont read the disk image though.

As a test of validity - I am planning on reading an ADF image from a real drive, transferring the ADF image via network to a PC, converting the ADF to the emulators custom format, converting it from custom format back to a new adf and then doing a fc /b, then I will transfer the new adf back to the amiga and do a fc there and finally write it back to disk and see what happens. Then I will attempt to load all of the images created and browse them through the reading disk file and directory structure interface in HXC.

It seems odd that an image the Amiga can write to floppy and use HXC thinks is corrupted.
Last edited by FalloutBoy on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: B2000 + Rev C woes

Post by Jeff »

a picture of your jumper/switch setting & setup please...

FalloutBoy

Post by FalloutBoy »

O.K Ive gotten through some initial problems but here is the problem I am now having, when I have a disk inserted on the first drive is shows as being on both drives.

On the first drive the disk acts perfectly fine but if you try and:
Access the second drive using a CLI and a simple DIR command,
Change the drive image for the first drive using the LCD and menu buttons
It screws up and complains about read errors.
Workbench.jpg
Workbench.jpg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
This image shows the details from an info command which shows both drives containing the same volume, name excluded because picture cropped to much :)

I have configured the unit for two drives but for the life of me can not figure out how to set what volume is in the second drive.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am uploading my config file and photos of jumper settings to make life easier, also the manual says configure things this way for a cable with a twist and that way for a cable without a twist but I can't find any reference to if you have a twist and have the drive connected before or after the twist, i am assuming after.
Jumpers.jpg
Jumpers.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Config.jpg
Config.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Also once an HFE file is created am I allowed to rename the created file and if I can, can I exclude the HFE extension?

With the software used to generate the images when I configure the drive as being an Amiga DS/DD drive it always reverts to generic Shugart I am not sure if its meant to do this or not, but when I set something I expect it to stay that way, if Amiga is generic Shugart can the software reflect this by saying Amiga-Generic Shugart - it's very annoying otherwise and confusing.

When I try and read an image in HFE format off the SD card and explore it I get complaints from the software that has just created the image that it's corrupt.

HXC floppy Emu Rev C.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jumpers in bad position : Your floppy cable is NOT twisted !!!

Look at this image :
twist.jpg
twist.jpg (20.63 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
The floppy cable in the right is twisted. The left one don't have the twist
on the DSx lines...

FalloutBoy

Post by FalloutBoy »

Thanx for the reply I have adjusted the jumper setting and now it's working fine, My bad for not checking which lines were twisted but I just read in the manual if you have a floppy cable with a twist do this - which I did :) but I didn't check what the twist was changing.

Also can mount a second disk now the long hold on the middle button was a little confusing because one of mine ( the one I was using ) the button is a little stiff and has to be pushed quite hard to register, I might replace the button they are a dime a dozen so it's an easy fix.

You may already have something along these lines which I haven't read about yet. Is there any way to group sets of disks to load either specifically on drive 0 or drive 1? maybe a file that goes in the directory saying drive0 with a list of hfe names that would be mountable on drive 0? and ditto for drive 1?, just a thought so the menu would not have to be used so much for multi disk software where the hxc soft menu is not available.